Monday, June 2, 2014

Does It Seem Like Kohl's has been Hiking Prices - or is it just me....

Last week I stopped into Kohl's to pick up 1 pair of swim shorts and 1 pair of khaki shorts for VC. Armed with my $10 off anything over $10 coupon and a 15% coupon, I was expecting to leave with a deal.

So I was shocked when the total - after discount and $10 off came to $36 (for 2 items)...especially since the swim shorts were Kohl's own Sonoma brand.

Very disappointing - and I'm glad I did not pay the extra $17 in order to reach the $50 limit to get a $10 off coupon for the next week. I have always wondered if prices are jacked up before those "special" weeks. However, I should be rest assured because my receipt showed a "total saved of $56.02" circled by the cashier ;-) . Do you mean to tell me the actual cost of a swimsuit and pair of shorts is $92!!!!

Looks like Kohl's has been investigated for price jacking in advance of sales in the past although this practice is denied. **CBS conducted an investigation in 2012. Click here to see the surprising results.

I have been a Kohl's shopper for years...but me thinks I may be done.

Oh well...I was happy to avoid Kohl's and stopped in at Ross today to find a tie for VC's graduation ceremony - so he will look spiffy under his cap and gown. Picked one up for $7.99 - a Pierre Cardin ...now that's more like it!

6 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I've never been to kohls and only went to Ross once. Ross was so gross and dirty and disheveled that I never went again. I imagine that was just my store cuz I know so many who love it!.

Rebecca Jo said...

We went to a Kohl's we don't normally go to last week... bought some things. Went to our local Kohl's & EVERYTHING was cheaper there. Like BIG TIME cheaper. It wasn't like a sale had happened - it was like a day apart... A necklace was $4.00 less - shirts $3.00 less. I was ticked. How can the SAME STORE be so off on prices. The cashier said the other kohl's right down the road was higher then that store. Stupid.
I will say - I usually only shop there when I have the 30% off

Stephanie Faris said...

I'm guessing that with all the Kohl's Cash and coupons, they've figured out they're losing money. Bait and switch, I guess... Does anyone ever walk in there without getting something for free or a percent off? Probably not. The Kohl's Cash idea is brilliant--you can't NOT use it, so you have to go back in the store. I had $20 from a recent purchase. I spent it online, but the item I was buying ended up being $17. I wasn't sure if the cash would pay for shipping, too, so I ended up buying a second item. Marketing genius.

And to Rebecca Jo's comment--a lot of department stores price depending on area. More affluent areas tend to have higher prices than lower-income areas... I was told that when I worked part time at a department store for extra money a few years ago.

Slamdunk said...

It is sad how much deceit there is with getting customers in the stores only to discover an unending list of exceptions to whatever is being offered on sale. I hope you have better luck after the switch--competition is good.

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

Yes sounds like something fishy is going on there...however I have never been a Kohl's shopper so I do not know much about the store/prices. Just wanted to pop in and say "hey chick"!

mypixieblog said...

Awww, that sucks. I'm a sucker for a good deal. I once bought a Lauren Conrad dress for $3 from Kohl's, including shipping (heard about the deal through Slickdeals, which is an amazing website, btw). Granted, I had no idea how it would fit (thankfully it did)... Anyway, I didn't realize Kohl's is guilty of price jacking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...