Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Week One of "Pine Mouth" is Complete

Do you eat Pine Nuts (aka pignoles as my Italian grandmother referred to them)?  Do you know that there is such a thing as "Pine Mouth."

There is - and it appears I may have been afflicted with Pine Mouth for a full 7 days as of today.

It started last Wednesday when I made a salad topped with an ample heap of pine nuts. Then, I repeated the salad on Thursday.

Since then everything I eat tastes like Metal!!  Yep, as in metal metal. It is a horrid bitter taste. It has not stopped me from overindulging (aka binge eating) - but it is making food unpalatable.

I do have some sinus issues which may be making things worse, but you can imagine that a lightbulb went off when I was googling my symptoms and came across this article  on epicurous.com.

The culprit appears to be Pine Nuts from China -- figures!!!!  Such as the ones I buy in bulk at Sam's Club...although my mom had some from the Fresh Market - that were 3x the price, but also imported from China.

If you enjoy  your pine nuts as much as I do, you may want to avoid going overboard...or prepare for Pine Mouth.

2 comments:

Slamdunk said...

Yikes. I don't eat pine nuts, but I am sure with all the stuff made for nothing abroad that we consume, something else will get me.

I hope you can taste things soon.

Heidi said...

I've often wondered what that metallic taste was! I bet it's when I've eaten something with pine nuts in it; we don't eat them whole, but they've probably snuck into things.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...