Monday, December 16, 2013

Loud and Proud!

A friend posted this on Facebook and it made me smile...

I'd like to say I LOL'd but I don't like to throw the term around causually, especially if I literally do not LOL ;-)

I spent 26 years in the great Garden State. And yes, there were plenty of gardens. We had one. The common stereotype of New Jersey is Newark Airport and fumes being spewed into the air from factories. That is not ALL of New Jersey. There is so much more...visit sometime....

Twenty-six years as a Jerseyian, and I was ready to leave the state. I became a Southerner.

I may have left Jersey but the Jersey never leaves. Even after 20 years, I still have some words that I pronounce distinctively "Jersey-like" - such as Dog. My son likes me to say "Dog" to his friends and he giggles. To me, I am pronouncing it just like everyone else does....

Have you also moved to a new state- yet everyone can still detect after many many years later, your state of origin? Do you appreciate your old state a lot more now that you no longer reside there?


3 comments:

angelcel said...

Living in the 'original' Jersey I can tell you that we too have an accent. *We* think we sound typical 'Middle England' (a bit on the 'plummy' side) - yet people do very occasionally ask if we're from South Africa or Australia because yes, the Jersey accent here is reminiscent of (a rather ugly version) of either of those.

BTW we're re-watching The Sopranos right now and I keep thinking of you, wondering if your Italian-sounding maiden name means that you have family recipes for Pasta Fazool...Manigot etc etc. :D (I'm tempted to buy The Sopranos Cookbook ... if I can find it)!

LL Cool Joe said...

Well I'm a Brit but I think my accent is very "Southern". I think I sound semi posh with a bit cockney thrown in, which makes me a typical Londoner. :D

Charlotte Klein said...

HA! That picture is HILARIOUS!

And yea, I moved here (all the way from New York, LOL!!) about 11 years ago (holy, I just realized I've lived in NJ for 11 YEARS!) and I think it def gets a bad rep. It's a lot nicer than how it's depicted on TV shows/movies (thanks for that, Sopranos and Jersey Shore!).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...