Wednesday, July 29, 2009

It's Bromance Time!


The good thing about MB not reading my blog is that he does not read my blog! That allows me to come up with posts such as this one about what I've been good naturedly referring to as his latest "bromance."

As I've mentioned before, MB and I met in the 80's at our local Jersey roller rink. That's where we would spend most our weekends. He with a new chick on his arm each week, me with my group of friends.

We still skate occasionally. Last Thursday, MB decided to take VC along to "eighties night" at a roller rink nearby. Coincidentally, it was also "all you can eat pizza night." Those of us from a certain era, can spot other skaters from this same era by the style of their boots and type of plates on their skates. (It is also easy to spot fellow 80's skaters by recognizing the special "shuffle move" not to mention gray hair and love handles.)

So, MB was sitting on the floor during the dice game (after instructing VC to hold a spot in the pizza line- this is all whacked, I know! The adult is the one playing the dice game???) He happens to sit down next to another skater in his forties, whose plates he recognizes and they strike up a conversation. Thus begins the Bromance.

It turns out that this guy skated at the same time as MB at another NJ roller rink, along with a whole clan of skaters that they were both friends with. (Being they were part of a "clan" and not a "tribe" there were no distinguishing tribe marks on their chins.)

This guy has a site on Facebook where all of the skaters who skated at that rink in the 80's can keep in touch. MB and he knew so many of the same people, that MB packed his photo albums to bring to skating with him last night so that he and his new pal could reminisce. VC and I stayed home and went to the pool (fyi, I DID go in the water). MB came home excitedly to tell me that another guy that we used to skate with found out that MB's new bro had been in touch with him and now he wants MB to get in touch with him on Facebook.

But back to the bromance, plans are now underway for MB and him to meet up at yet another area rink next week. MB says he would like me and VC to come along, yet we know that we will go unnoticed, except maybe to hold a spot in line for pizza ;-) After all, this is the beginning of what looks to be a long lasting bromance.

[And before anyone (family members perhaps) goes ape crap on me for talking in this manner about MB and his new bud, I would like to go on the record as saying I am very happy that he has met another guy friend especially one that he has so much in common with. He works such long hours that it is nice to see him looking forward to some fun as well as getting in shape skating.]

BTW, I'm still ROTFL (always wanted to use that in a blog post) from Alicia's comment yesterday about the "smackaho tribe" :D

And I do apologize if it is taking me longer than usual to visit your sites..things have been hectic and today it looks like my "superior" will be in at work. I hate it when work cuts into my blog time ;-)

23 comments:

Fruitful Vine2 said...

It is good when a hardworking hubby can get a friend to connect with. Happy Pizza line holding :)

Janna Bee said...

Awww... The other day I set my husband up on a mandate with my best friends husband. He came back all flushed and happy. I don't remember the last time he seemed that excited after a date with me, LOL!

Kathie @ my net finds said...

awwwww, bromances are so cute!

Yankee Girl said...

That's so cute! They can be skating buddies!

And I hate it when my bosses cut into my blog time as well!

Kristin said...

Doesn't work realize it comes second to blogging?

Tammy Howard said...

My hubs could use a good bromance. I love how their eyes light up, and every sentence begins with "_____ says". "______ thinks".

So cute.

Bentley Boutique said...

Aww, that's cute about your hub and his new friend. I need to find my hub a friend. Maybe I should take him skating:)

Rebecca Jo said...

Romances AND Bromances can always spark at a skating rink...

You're making me want to find my skates!!! I had the red Rydell Grand prix's... no support around the ankle.. but they were HOT! :)

Amanda said...

Does your family give you are hard time about your blog?? I can't even get my family to read mine.

Way to go on the new bromance. I did not go rollerskating much as a child, so I have no moves. I would appreicate a vlog about your hubbys moves.

Seriously.

Lucy said...

How nice for you, now you are off the hook to go skating and you have more time to hang out at the pool with the chiggers, oh and VC! (lol).

You mean to tell me your boss doesn't understand your need for valuable blog reading inspiration!!!

strokeofliving said...

Male bonding time sweeet.

Yaya said...

Hahahaha!!!!!! They even have a date set up!

Melissa B. said...

Mr. Fairway has "boyfriends" like this, too. It's kinda cute, I think. I didn't know you were from Jersey...what exit?

Tina said...

Too funny! Keith has a "husband" but he moved out of state. They are continuing their bromance by talking on the phone at least once a week.

Mama Mel said...

So funny! "Bromance"... my hubby has two best friends that he gets together with occasionally. I swear they talk like they're "girlfriends"... it's so funny! The funniest part is, sometimes when he talks to them, he starts out by saying my name instead of theirs... "Hey, Mel... I mean, Mike..." LOL! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day and entering my first giveaway! Have a great day! :)

Alicia said...

you know what? it makes me happy when guys find good friends! my dad recently found a new BFF and its so cute to see my dad get all excited to have a new friend! so good for him! pizza and skating...life is good! smackaho for life! lol...

angelcel said...

Aw, that's really nice! :)

Men don't seem to have friendships in the same way as women. I think they just too easily get all wound up in work and friendships tend to take a back seat, so it's wonderful when you see them all fired up by meeting a new pal.

Karen said...

Can't wait to hear more about the bromance...

Mommyof2girlz said...

Aww I think it's sweet MB has a bromance and how excited he is about reconnecting with his old buddies. Although if I mentioned T's name and "bromance" in the same sentence, I'm sure his Marines would come for me in the middle of the night..lol

Leland Sage said...

Dudes need other dudes to hang out with too. I love how all the ladies think it's cute. We can't hang out with our ladies all the time...that may push us over the edge.

Jenn @ youknow... that blog? said...

Guy friends are hard to come by after marriage, I've heard. It's very rare for my husband (or me for that matter) to enjoy the husbands of any of my gal pals.

My husband doesn't read my blog either - which is a good thing given my recent posts that revolve around him... ack...!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I love bromances. How cute!

Lacey said...

Funny. I'll have to tell my hun about this. thanks for visiting my site from SITS. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...